Thursday, January 28, 2010

Headaches and White Phones

So today was Thursday and will be for some people...

I had another early morning today, well sort of. I meant to wake up at 9 am but I rolled over until 9:55 when I realized it. My friend came to the door because we were leaving at 10. After a bit of hurried cleaning and dressing, we left at 10:07. I never got breakfast though so I was rather sad and grumpy after a while.

I had found out that I didn't get into my sumie class but Dad did get some useful paperwork. I haven't gotten a chance to print them off just yet but I'll handle that tomorrow when I'm there. Today was a day for meetings. We had 4 meetings today and some were interesting and others were terrifying and others were just plain weird. I had curry again for lunch, which saved the day until my 3rd meeting and I realize curry on an empty stomach= bad day. So No Fourth day of curry in a row...

I found out about my host family today: Oshita is their last name. I have a mom and dad and a little sister who is 9 and a little brother who is 8. They don't have any pets, don't smoke, don't drink, and don't speak any English apparently. They want me to teach Chihiro and Gakuta some so this will be interesting. They all like golf, not my cup of tea but that's okay. I know a little about it. I've been getting kind of nervous after the homestay meeting because I am afraid they're going to expect me to teach them lots of high pressure English or make me feel unwelcome but I'm certain that's just the jitters. I'll get to meet them on Sunday at 1:30pm. Pressure's on!

I FINALLY GOT MY PHONE! It took myself and Lindsey hanging out in the Softbank building for about 2 hours but I got it! I also got to see into the persona of some of the other students in the program here... some good, others don't want to touch with a 39 and a half foot pole, probably more. The Grinch was just mean but this guy... *shudders* I'm grateful Lindsey was there to keep me company, VERY grateful. I've been adding pictures and trying to figure out sounds on my phone-have to be in mp4 to play, weird... It's super expensive to call on these phones so everyone just texts but it's more like email through your phone so if you want to try that sometime with me just ask. I got the cheapest one with a free charger and it's white so I can put stickers on it. It's cute so I'm excited.

After realizing everyone waited for us by hanging around campus, we all walked home together being silly and talking quietly as not to upset the neighbors. We bought dinner and ate it together, I realized what I got had some form of pork on it and I think it was bacon. It made me happy, although I felt a little unhealthy. You can't be too choosy when you go off of looks.

I'm getting a little confused with this time difference now but I've at least figured out what day it is now! Tomorrow I find out what classes I'm in and pick up my ID card, then at 2pm I'm going to Kyoto! Woohoo!

I might meet my second speaking partner Ayano there and that'll be cool. She doesn't speak English very well or very much so this'll be a challenge. I still haven't met Mai but I'm hoping to on Monday or Tuesday. I feel bad. Oh well, we'll see.

I know I promised pictures but I didn't realize how many I need to put up on facebook still so I'll need to go through them first and I can't very well do that while I'm updating this. I also cannot do it well when I'm half asleep. I definitely don't want to repeat what happened this morning so I'm going to bed now! Good Night all! or... Good Morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment