Monday, February 8, 2010

Raindrops on Roses

So... it's a really weird feeling when I've finished all my homework and managed to study vocab cards and watch 3 episodes of an anime... I'm awake but I feel like I should be tired and I feel like it should be later than it really is. This is very strange to me.
Well, my day started off okay in the aspect of I had a warm breakfast, caught a bus, got to school early enough to find out we had a quiz on some vocab in the first period... Don't worry, I'm the master at short term memorization! Down side is that only about half of it is still in my head. I had about 10 mins to find the words and study them, which is better off than some people. Unfortunately it was over Transitive and Intransitive verbs again...
I swear if I have to explain it one more time in Japanese class in English to the class, I might just blow a gear. Needless to say, I probably aced the quiz and felt like my skin was being pulled off my body in every direction as I sat there repeating every short phrase she said and had to drag the class forward by their toe nails. Please, shoot me now!
I showed up to the level 4 class just to ask if I could see my test since I got to see my level 3 but the professor just told me to stay in level 3 and with that I had to bite my lip to manage to walk out of there with any dignity at all. He wouldn't even SHOW me it. I will see that test! If they still have it... Who would've guessed the reason I didn't do fantastic on the level 3 was because I didn't know the vocab from this text book. Hah, I haven't been saying that from the beginning and yet, I tried to remedy it. I even did well on the listening portion and that's saying something since it's me and my listening comprehension confidence is nearly none existent.
I managed to vent to some people earlier in the day so that made me feel a bit better, at least to the point where I could be in public without getting looks for having pink, puffy eyes. I hate that my tear ducts are connected to anger, frustration, and disappointment versus actually being sad... I'm not kidding, I don't usually cry when I think I'm supposed to. I'm waiting on some emails from Miami to help me out but again, I'm still waiting...
I just refuse to go through all the effort and spend the money to get to Japan just to leave here without my minor completed. I'm sorry that's BS. Every second of my life I spend sitting in that level 3 class, I feel as though someone is drilling into my temple and unraveling my brain out except the hole is too small so it's being forced out and stretched out farther than it should be possible. Did I mention, I feel dumber sitting in there and I'm pretty sure I'll lose interest in things I've already learned?

Anyway, I could go on about that for hours but I don't want to dwell on the anger, hatred, and frustration I've been experiencing/attempting to not redirect at innocent people.
So after managing to get to the cafeteria by myself and realizing my phone was dying so I couldn't call anyone, I got some food and sat down in the middle of a long table. About 5 minutes later, a huge group of high schoolers who had just finished taking their college entrance exams came rushing in. Me feeling rather antisocial and still remotely pissed off, kept my head down and ate my food. In no time two male high schoolers sat down in front of me and pulled out their food. I have to say it made me laugh because I pretended not to notice them like everyone who sits by him/herself, but it was difficult when I can overhear part of their conversation in Japanese talking about "say something" "I don't know" "You wanted to practice" "How do I say that in English." Immediately, I realize what's going on and then one of the starts talking to me.
He said that they had just finished their test and wanted to practice more of their English. Since I was currently pissed off about Japanese classes, I was perfectly content with not speaking Japanese. So I humored them. There were lots of long awkward pauses that sometimes I would break, sometimes the talkative one would break. It was funny. I can honestly say, I've never had that happen to me before. They asked me where I was from and what sports I played and general questions like that and I asked them the same but I did point out that one of them seemed shy, which sent the talkative one into a long description of how he's not really shy when he's with his girlfriend and how she's coming to take the test tomorrow and he's going to help her study, etc. He claimed he wasn't embarrassed after having his friend divulge all of that but facial expressions are fairly universal. Fortunately, I had class soon after we all finished our meals so that they didn't feel obligated to continue to talk to me in English. It was entertaining to me and put me in a better mood so that was nice. I got something out of it besides a funny story. At the very end before I left, I asked them what their names were and if I partially recall one was "Yagai" but I was supposed to call him "Michi" and the other shy one was "Shioyuki" or something along those lines. I don't know about Michi though since they both snickered when he mentioned it. Silly high schoolers...
Either way, I had my Anthro class afterwards and it was fairly interesting except I kept falling asleep because 1. I was physically tired, 2. I was emotionally tired, 3. it was ridiculously hot in that room, 4. the professor can be a bit of a boring speaker, and 5. it was right after lunch. Food COMA! But I was really trying to stay awake, which is more than I can say for the girl 3 seats down from me, face flat on her desk and out. When I say I was falling asleep I mean I did the head bobs. We only have his class once this week though, because Thursday is Foundation Day so no school! Hopefully I'll be better next week, I'm sure I will because I will take appropriate measures. Then, I got to my favorite class: My Cross-Cultural Psych. I swear I should have been a psych major... I might get a real job if I had. Plus, a good psychologist is a good listener. I can do that, among other things... But that class was enjoyable and it was fun realizing how balanced I was and ironic some of my answers seemed to be given my other answers and my culture.
Afterwards, I ran into my old roommate from the seminar houses who is in my level 3 class and reconfirmed that I had homework in it, which I forgot to make a copy of because I'm not using the page out of my friend's book. He might need it some day! So, I have to do that before class tomorrow and do the homework but again... it's easy and stuff I've already done twice! So that reawakened my annoyance for that class and made me stomp off to the bus stop (hence I forgot to make the copy). But yeah, I ran into Lauren at my bus stop so I chatted with her a bit and heard how she tried to apply for her alien registration card today but got lost with the map the university gave her, which is apparently completely wrong according to local Japanese people. So yeah, she got lost and by the time she got there, it was closed of course. I was glad to see some familiar and friendly faces then before hopping on the bus home. You know the bike ride is looking better and better if only the weather would get warmer.
But I came home, still slightly soured from the day and messed around on the computer a bit, then began my homework when Chihiro-chan came to visit and wanted to play. I did manage to finish my worksheet before giving in. I had music playing so we danced a bit, had a breath holding competition in which I managed 1 minute and 10 seconds. Woohoo! My new record! We also played with my new pretty things and of course, took more pictures. It was fun and she went downstairs for a bit saying that she'd be back. But after about 10 minutes I realized something was up, so I finished up looking at my vocab for one of my quizzes tomorrow and ventured downstairs.
Surprise! Miwa-san was making Takoyaki. And no, there is nothing Taco- about it. Think okinomiyaki with Octopus in it and in little ball shapes. It was oishii! For all of you who don't know what okinomiyaki is, I took pictures too. My first time eating octopus, I believe. Kind of chewy but tasty. I was also super hungry! So I watched her make that for a while and then we ate, and she went to pick up Toru-san and we made more while she was out so they would have something when they got back. I went over more review cards afterwards, but then came upstairs after everyone went their separate ways. I started looking up new musical artists from the tv shows they watch when I saw a amv for Tokyo Mew Mew and I had to watch a couple. So I did and well, here I am. I figure I'll go over my vocab another few times and head to bed soon. Maybe I'll get more pictures up. Maybe not! I haven't heard any guesses except from Kimmy about what I bought!
Oh well, I'll talk to you all later!

~Me

4 comments:

  1. Well Katie, I can hoenstly say it sounds like you're already meshing in well there :3. Do continue to have a good time and with any luck your sanity will be restored with a level 4 class, ifs thats possible =P.
    BTW, where are these pictures being posted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're going up on facebook in my photo albums because I'm lazy and they're easy to find there. I also have just uploaded some movies too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it sad that i already knew what takoyaki was cause i read about it in a manga? :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope! Not at all! ;)

    ReplyDelete